Monday 29 October 2012

Man, Machine

Yesterday, Stage got back at lunchtime looking like a raisin. I decided not to head out into the field. We had the lowdown for the day anyway – the site was being flattened. They had first tried a tractor for the job, and then a JCB. Work was on. End of chapter. What else could there be to report?

Or so I thought.

In the evening, Kaptaan dashed into our tents. “Oh, man, you missed such a story today.”

Murphy!

The JCB had worked for only a couple of hours. Then it overheated and sank into the sand. A tractor had already wasted precious hours in the morning. Daylight wouldn’t last forever.

 I'm still waiting for that  JCB to turn into a Transformer

“At one point toh I was thinking yeh aaj hoga hi nahi.”

Then two brothers arrived with another tractor and saved the day. In two hours, they accomplished what even the JCB could not.

“Ek character actor aaya aur ma **** di heroes ki.”

Kaptaan is all praise.

“Mad skills, bro. They go like this. Then zwoop, the whole thing turns on one wheel. One wheel! Then the other way. Zwoop, zwoop, zwoop. One side of the field cleared.”

Sounds like it must have been quite a sight. I made a mental note not to miss it today. Then I woke up, stepped out, narrowly missed a heat stroke and crawled back into my tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment