Friday 19 October 2012

Happy bellies

It is a storm.

I haven’t seen their faces all day and I imagine a tired army making its way back home.

The crew has been out for 11 hours now, toiling hard, making things happen. Three hours of extensive recee and setting plans to scale. Two hours of documenting the needful. Six hours spent hacking each other’s brains.
Almost an entire day spent gawking at the sheer enormity of the festival site.

I hear throats aching for some relief, eyes looking for some rest.

They surprise me.
They announce themselves hoarse, climb up the stairs to their second floor rooms and shout out a strange sort of jubilation. I tell myself that it's pointless to try and understand how such commotion can please. Yet I wonder what’s gotten into them. I try to overhear but it is an errand made in vain. The ambitious aren't easy to make sense of.

They slam the door behind them, retire their bags for the day, freshen up and run out for dinner.

I don’t see them for the next three hours.
I fear for the restaurant they have chosen.

They come back an even louder bunch. Dinner must have been sweet. They run straight into my room - all five of them, say too many things at the same time, hand me a take-out, smile incessantly, shake my hand, bid me a good night and swoop away with their happy bellies.

The floor is quiet again.

It is a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment